Fairfield County, CT Real Estate by Karen Brewer, Realtor® Sotheby’s International Realty
The Gold Coast Standard and Darien Real EstateHome
(203) 554-0951 | Email
Your Darien Lifestyle Concierge
If you’re thinking about moving to Darien, or any other Fairfield County town, you need to know more than just what’s ON the market. Let me your guide to living IN the market.
Email me today for a no-strings-attached list of local blogs and websites that will give you instant, insider insight into life in each of our communities, or call me to arrange a tour of local listings and lifestyle must-sees.
TOP 5 TIPS For A Successful Search
Whether this is your first time buying a house or you’ve done it before, here are a few tips for how to prepare for a successful search in today’s market. With 25 years of experience in this community, I’ve got lots more where these came from – so feel free to contact me, even if you just have questions. No obligation. No kidding.
1. A TRAIN RUNS THROUGH IT. Be aware that popular real estate web sites that offer “estimated” home values, market trends etc., are completely database-driven. They cannot take into account intangible factors such as property condition, neighborhoods, and potentially negative factors such as wetlands or easements or compromised locations. You’ll need to consult a licensed Realtor for the “full” story.
2. YOUR CREDIT MUST BE “SQUEEEKY” CLEAN. Real estate mortgage markets have changed drastically over the past few years, and underwriting has really tightened up. I highly recommend you get a copy of your credit report and clear up any problems BEFORE applying for a mortgage. You can obtain a single report from all three credit reporting agencies through the FTC approved website www.Annual Credit Report.com.
3. HAVE CASH ON HAND. One of the first expenses incurred in the home buying process is an inspection of the property. Hire a licensed inspector, and be sure to budget $400-$800 for this expense. Also remember to talk to your Realtor about closing costs, which can be considerable.
4. KNOWLEDGE IS POWER. Be sure you learn all you can about things like the most popular streets and neighborhoods, parking availability, local zoning
regulations, commuting times, nursery school, and private school options as well as special education programs.
5. ALL TOWNS ARE NOT THE SAME. Have to have nightlife? Prefer to walk around town? There is no shortage of local blogs and websites that will give
you the flavor for Fairfield County and its many towns. They cover everything from local eateries to family activities. Exploring these websites is a great way to get a sense of the ‘personality” of a community and what it’s like to live there. I have compiled a list of 20 great Fairfield County blogs and websites, and would be happy to email it to you – just drop me a request here. In the meantime, here’s one to get you started. TheGoldCoastStandard.com